Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Silhouette of Loneliness

The book turned out interesting. From the previous book carving post i change the concept of the room. After talking to my professor I looked at a bunch of paintings that the main theme is Loneliness. The artists included; Edward Hopper, Michael Endo, Eric Fischl, Jon Currin, and Tolouse Lautrec. After seeing these works I took a new approach. I would carve multiple rooms but only one has windows to the outside.


The book it's self is very difficult to cut through especially when you have to go through every page and the blade won’t go down that far. The only real complication was that the blade was to short and my hand started hurting. When making the person i couldn’t figure out how to do it I tried soaking paper in water and glue and about 10 other ideas on how to make this person. In the end I carved out a silhouette and placed them by the interior window. I carved 3 paths of entry into the book. One to look through and the other 2 to allow light into the dugout space.

I liked this exercise. It was pretty cool except for the whole painful thing. Its weird to think this is going to help me to design a better building, but after completion of the book its easier to understand. You need to open your mind up and look at things in a new light. I like my book because it was different than everyone else’s in my studio While everyone opened the book and viewed it from front to back or back to front but mine flipped it on its side and went side to middle!

Here are some more photos of it. You can see into the book and look at the scene and the shadows it creates.




Some Review Comments:

No identification with the book so I had no problem cutting it.

We thing of subtraction as a negative (bad) idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment